Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Sometimes it takes an act of congress...

For those of you who don't know it, I LOVE mail! Not e-mail, but real, touch it, feel it, smell it, rip it open mail. It can come in the form of a letter, a postcard, a small rectangular package, a stack of magazines, a random shaped package, or even an odd shaped triangular box (thank you FedEx.)

Look at it! It's there in your hand. Now back to me. Now back to the mail.  Notice the red circles of ink over the stamp?  See the small creases that make your envelope slightly imperfect?  Think about it: Someone hand- stamped and carried your mail in their truck or satual along it's journey to get to you.  Your mail has truly been enriched both by the sender and by it's honest stewards.  No matter how far it has traveled, it's still a wonder to behold.


Letter people have mailed to me!

So, it really did take an act of Congress and the workings of Benjamin Franklin to make the US Postal Service what it is today. Starting it's life cycle in 1775 after a decree by the Second Continental Congress and transforming into The Post Office Department in 1792 (a United States Cabinet position), and then resembling to what we know today in 1983 after the passage of the Postal Reorganization Act.

It's the LARGEST operator of civilian fleet vehicles in the WORLD! How else do you expect the mail to cover all across America and reach every square mile of the US?  Plus, what other company has a museum devoted to it?

Yesterday, I received a great letter from my mom:

Letter from my mom. 

She sent me an article from Army Times about how the Army has banned Vibram Five Finger toe shoes from PT tests "over worries they might give some soldiers an unfair advantage." I love these shoes and run most of my 5K races in them.  The article goes on to describe "What to tell you commander" about these styles of shoes and why they should be cleared for PT tests.  What I like best about this article is that my mom wrote me a note on it!

I have this habit as well! Many of my friends and family have received a cutout or random gift with my scribbles on it.  I think it's the best way to communicate that you are thinking of someone and that you love them.  Hence when my mom writes: "Hi son, you came to mind when I read this article.  Since you participate in running events."  She really means: "Love you. Mom."

Goodies to be send out soon!

E-mail has nothing on mail mail. :-)

Thanks for reading,

Dr. Alex

No comments:

Post a Comment